Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Something blue...

I thought it would be fun to show a little bit of what I do at my day job as a florist. As wedding season nears, I am reminded of last year's wedding season, which was full of blue hydrangeas. Nearly every weekend last summer, we had at least one wedding that was blue hydrangeas! So whenever we do a wedding show, we always make sure to include some of this highly sought after bloom. While hydrangeas aren't the most long-lasting flowers (they tend to wilt quickly in the heat), they sure are pretty, and a perfect way to add that "something blue" to your wedding day.

I created this bouquet for a wedding show we did in January, and I must admit it is one of my favorites that I have done with blue hydrangeas. I love the contrast of the dark purple anemones against the pale blue hydrangea and delicate white ranunculus. And of course there's also that little touch of bling!

Details or so important when creating wedding bouquets. Careful attention must be given to every part of the bouquet...even to how the stems of the bouquets are wrapped. It's these little finishing touches that make a wedding bouquet extra special.

Even little things like the boutonnieres can be made with the same attention to detail. I always like to make them coordinate with the bouquets, by incorporating some of the same flowers or other materials into them. Even though there aren't any calla lilies in the bouquet above, this white calla lily boutonniere would be a beautiful companion to it, with the little blue gems on the stem.

The blue hydrangea theme is often also carried through to the reception. A popular look for centerpieces is a bubble bowl style vase with the hydrangeas either just above the vase with sea glass in the bottom, or for them to be submerged in the vase of water.

I'm curious to see if blue hydrangeas will still be the flower of choice this summer, or if we will start to see a new trend. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails